Sunday, July 13, 2014

Wish you were here...

I have a few new "travel" themed items to share with you today using some new products coming out by Papertrey Ink in a few days! First up are These United States stamps, State Abbreviations stamps and all of the new state dies! (Sold in sets of 2 or 3 states.)
Let me just preface by saying I know the states are not exactly proportional! I realize that, but I just had to cut them all out and try them together. The only spot I ran into a bit of crowding was in the northeast states. All in all, I think it looks really neat all together. I made a little home decor framed piece, and I plan on getting some white Ikea picture ledges for my office and filling them up with framed maps and calligraphy sayings and some vintage things!

First, I laid out all of the state dies on my table where they would go and labeled the dies with a Sharpie marker. Then I took a few at a time (4 or 5) and cut them out from watercolor paper and placed them back on my table in place of the die. This way I could keep track of which ones I've done and which ones I still needed to cut.


Next I was going to watercolor them, but after cutting them all out, I was afraid I might not like it and didn't want to start over, so I left them white. I might play around with them later and try to watercolor each state a pretty pastel color, like a vintage pastel map.

Then I transferred them to a large piece of watercolor paper 11 x 15". (I bought a large 11 x 15" watercolor pad.) I have a frame that I white-washed, and it fits perfectly in there. I added the Banner Sentiment dies stamped with These United States. Then I used twine and staples to mark the 3 states I've lived in recently, SD, NY and CO, which are stamped with State Abbreviations.

And here is the finished piece. Picture it on a shelf with a globe or a vintage camera on a couple of books. :) And...uh oh. I just realized I forgot to include Alaska and Hawaii! 




Wherever You Go Framed Decor:
(All supplies by Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.)
STAMPS: These United States, State Abbreviations
INK: True Black, Raspberry Fizz by PTI, Soft Granite by Hero Arts
PAPER: watercolor paper
DIES: Banner Sentiments, all of the United States die sets
OTHER: twine, staples.
______


Next up are the new Pack Your Bags stamps and dies. I also added the leaves and berries from Note Niblets.
The suitcases are so cute. I thought it would be nice to give to someone who watches over your house while you are away for Christmas.

Thanks for Taking Care of Things card:
(All supplies by Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.)
STAMPS: Pack Your Bags, Note Niblets
INK: Simply Chartreuse, New Leaf, Aqua Mist, Tropical Teal, Pure Poppy
PAPER: Tropical Teal, White, New Leaf Pattern Pack 
DIES: Pack Your Bags, Note Niblets
OTHER: twine.
______

Last is a retirement card made with Get Lost stamps and the Tag Sale #11 die. I love this die and the nice embossed stitching detail it creates! I popped up the top part of the tag for dimension.

The stripes on the top were stamped with Monthly Moments: July stamps (as well as the red striped border, made with the bottom edge of the arrow stamp).


Happy Retirement! card:
(All supplies by Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.)
STAMPS: Get Lost, Monthly Moments: July
INK: Pure Poppy, True Black, Tropical Teal, Simply Chartreuse, Summer Sunrise, Ripe Avocado
PAPER: Ripe Avocado, White, Classic Kraft
DIES: Tag Sale #11
OTHER: twine, pop dots.
______

Visit the rest of the PTI team to see more with these new products! Everything will be available at Papertrey Ink on 7/15 at 10pm EST. Thank you for your visit and nice comments, I always appreciate them so much.

25 comments:

jan metcalf said...

Love the travel retirement card, the places you will go!! That sentiment would be good for a child's card with Dr. Seuss too!

Wida said...

Ok that map framed art was incredible!!!!

jintyoo7 said...

WOW!!! Love the framed "state" project (even without Alaska and Hawaii)! Beautiful projects :)

Ruth G said...

All your projects are wonderful, but the wall art is really fabulous! The idea is awesome and I love how it shows where you've lived! So meaningful! TFS!

Anonymous said...

I actually love the map in all white:). Don't think I'd watercolor them. Elegant!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, that framed map looks amazing, Danielle! I love it! And your card is wonderful, too!

karen h said...

Oh man, the wherever you go project is amazing! I've been wanting to do something like that but couldn't envision the final product. I love the white on white!!

Diana K said...

I also wouldn't change a thing on that incredible framed map. It is gorgeous in white!

Parker said...

The luggage card has only one piece of luggage on it and I like it like that as well as seeing it used with several bags. It is so versatile. Good job.

Nora Noll said...

That map is GENIUS!! I LOVE the whole design. So out of the box and the proportion-it is ART!! Doesn't matter! Love the fun retirement card too. Wonderful projects!

Laura Norris said...

Love these!! The map is great - leave the states white!

Cathy Y said...

I LOVE your map wall art. I wanted to suggest that other than water colors, you might want to try Luminarte Silks Acrylic Glazes, which are permanent when dry, and glimmery. And they are glazes, so are very transparent unless you add multiple layers.

Tracey McNeely said...

Fun projects Danielle, your framed map is just such an awesome idea!

Simply AJ said...

Your framed artwork using the individual states turned out so good! I like the white on white but I'm also a sucker for anything watercolored. If you decide to add watercolor make sure and post it, I would love to see it! Thanks for sharing your ideas. AJ@queenofmynest

Miriam Prantner said...

Your map projects is my absolute favorite PTI project today. Love it!

Kathy Krug said...

Fabulous projects. the framed map is a great idea and love the retirement card,

Jill Norwood said...

Wonderful projects all! The map art is FANTASTIC! So clever and creative! :)

Kathy Mc said...

Oh my, Danielle, your USA map is a work of art. Love your idea for displaying with a globe and/or vintage camera (or even a mini suitcase if there is such a thing). Great cards also that fill some previous voids!

Nancy Penir said...

Absolutely smitten with the map pic. What a wonderful idea! Beautiful and striking in all white!

Holly Saveur said...

just stunning..all your projects!

Jacquie Southas said...

LOVE the map project - love the white on white!

Grace said...

Love the map project. Brilliant idea

Barbara said...

Love your map! Just awesome ...leave it white it is so artsy:)

Anonymous said...

Very ambitious project!

Kathie B said...

I really like the framed piece. The retirement card/tag is really a unique take that is just perfect for a retiree with travel plans...